Discomforting Comfort

At USC Keck - Taking a break to blog and take pictures with my son and nephew. I told the nurse I was working on a blog and asked for permission to take pictures---she was so sweet and let us borrow a large room and even helped fix my hair. The medical team at USC Keck is amazing!

At USC Keck - Taking a break to blog and take pictures with my son and nephew. I told the nurse I was working on a blog and asked for permission to take pictures---she was so sweet and let us borrow a large room and even helped fix my hair. The medical team at USC Keck is amazing!

This week I was anticipating finally launching this blog to a small audience of people in my life, a subtle intro to those closest to me. As expected, I started to feel the jitters of stepping out of my comfort zone and inviting others to get a glimpse into what things are like for me these days in trying to figure this new way of life. Or this new way of existing. Just as if I were delivering a work project, I had an intro date set, I put a plan together for future posts and content. I even went as far as setting up a small team for photography and proofreading. I was working on last-minute finishing touches and edits making sure my Spanish translations conveyed my thoughts and emotions just as I had intended them and then the big c came barging in, reminding me once again that I am no longer in charge here and deadlines are no longer permitted. 

I knew that providing updates on my health would play a role in this project but I was hoping I wouldn’t have to lead in with this topic or for it to become the focal point. It was my plan for it to be a supporting actor that I would call in as I deemed appropriate depending on the topic, but then I guess that would be just as bad and as irresponsible as reporting fake news. I know that failing to share this part with you would be doing a disservice to the whole reason why I decided to embark on this blogging journey. I promised myself that I would use this blog as a platform to be transparent and honest so bear with me as I learn to slowly and gently peel off my band aid of privacy. I was anticipating a different start to all of this, so now I have to be obedient to my circumstances. 

Wednesday 7/18, I was admitted to the ER with severe, unmanageable back pain. The kind of pain somewhere close to back labor pain, with a burning ache that would not let up. I had been up the past two previous night’s trying to find some relief, changing positions, rooms, adjusting furniture, pillows, room temperature and even tried rocking myself to sleep. I probably should have documented with photos the different positions I attempted to try and find comfort and relief. I think I might have invented a new way of falling asleep while slouching with only your head up against the back rest. When I did finally find some relief, it was short lived only lasting a disappointing 10 minutes. I was sleep deprived and desperate so at 1am we checked in to the hospital. I remember asking the attending nurses, “If I scream loud and make a scene would that help get me the pain killers a lot faster?”

A Patient, Patient

Me and my handsome son Arturo at USC Keck. 

Me and my handsome son Arturo at USC Keck. 

After seven years of dealing with scans, tests, treatments and consults I no longer brace myself for bad news, I have simply learned to just expect it. The symptoms are good indicators of where all this is heading. When you start to have more blah days than good, it’s obvious. 

My breathing has been tough recently, especially in this hot, humid weather and as with other things starting to change, I’ve learned to reassess and adapt. Doctors have concluded that the tumor has continued to grow, pushing up against my affected left lung and causing the nerve and pressure pain. The left lung is completely shut down and has started to build up some fluid and all this is also affecting my esophagus which has made it difficult to also eat comfortably. My right lung has been doing the heavy lifting for the past two years but it’s also affected showing lesions that seem to be staying put, for now. 

The discomfort is more evident at night when I’m lying down, putting more pressure on my back so maybe owls are onto something for sleeping perched up. Maybe I’ll try that. I am comfortable at this moment at the hospital with the help of pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs to help keep my airways open but more closer monitoring will be required from here on out which for us means further assessing and adapting when we return home.  

Palliative Care: Something that is intended to make a bad situation seem better but that does not really improve the situation. 

So, this is where we find ourselves. At the intersection of “what now”? And, “how long do I have”? The question on timing I’d rather not ask or know although it doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t think about it often. It really does not interest me to get into it with the medical team and I don’t think living with a timeframe hanging over my head is going to help keep my fighting spirit up. I suppose the fact that I spent an hour with the Palliative Team means it’s time to get my affairs in order and I’ll just go off of that. I haven’t lost my will to live, I plan to continue fighting so I’m going to hang onto that.   

I will probably be here for a few days for observation and while we wait for the new plan on how we live our life with this new development back home. I will be sure to update you on what develops as it advances and please know that I appreciate all of the, prayers, visits, love and support that has come our way. I has been tough for me to pray these past few days, I think (for now) I am out of things to say to God about this whole situation, I’ve run out of words or ways to ask for guidance and strength or maybe I’m just extremely exhausted. I continue to experience the perfect peace that I know can only come from God, I feel His love and care and for that I am thankful. That even if I don’t even know what to say, or how to say it, He never fails to come through to hold me. Like the good father he is.

“So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10

Timeline of Events

·     Wednesday,  July 18th - Checked into the ER at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton, then transferred to USC Keck to determine best care for pain management and improved breathing.

·     Tuesday,  July 24th - Instead of releasing me to go home, doctors decide to keep me to perform a bronchoscopy to assess the situation. They ordered a bronchoscopy for the following day with possible intervention to try and further open my airways if risk can be kept to a minimum. 

·     Wednesday July 25th - Bronchoscopy is successful. Doctors are able to intervene and open the airway more than anticipated. I experienced normal discomfort and soreness after the anesthesia wore off and overall managing well. 

·     Thursday July 26 – Released from USC Keck to continue recuperation at home with assistance from Palliative Care Team for pain and symptom management.

·     Friday July 27 – Home experiencing more pain and discomfort than was anticipated and also noticing symptoms of fluid in airways which is a big concern as it is causing more stress on my already weak and troubled breathing. Up all night again with no sleep.

·     Saturday July 28 – Checked into emergency once again at St. Jude at 4am. CT Scan, X Ray and blood work reveal pneumonia on right lung (the good lung). Will be admitted and spending a few days here on antibiotics to try and clear up the infection. 

·     Tuesday, July 31 - Hospitalized a total of 13 days between the two hospitals. I am back home once again…rebuilding on all levels. 


Comodidad Incómoda

Esta semana estaba anticipando finalmente lanzar este blog a personas cercanas a mí. Principalmente a mis familiares para darles saber cómo he estado durante estos últimos 8 meses desde que mi estado de salud cambio. Como era de esperar, comencé a sentir poquitos nervios al compartir con otros cómo es que van las cosas conmigo estos días tratando de ajustarme a esta nueva forma de vida. O mejor dicho a esta nueva forma de existir. Así como si estuviera entregando un proyecto de trabajo, tenía una fecha de introducción, hice un plan para futuros temas y contenido. Incluso aliste un equipo para ayudarme con fotografía y también a alguien para revisar mis artículos. Estaba trabajando en los toques finales asegurándome de que mis traducciones en español explicaran mis pensamientos y emociones tal y como yo había intentado y entonces el “C” grande entró invadiendo, recordándome una vez más que ya no soy la encargada aquí y los planes con plazos ya no son permitidos. 

Sabía que compartir detalles sobre mi salud seria parte de este proyecto, pero esperaba yo no tener que comenzar con este tema y mucho menos que se convirtiera en el punto principal. Era mi plan que fuera un tema que yo mencionaría de vez en cuando en lo que fuera apropiado, pero entonces supongo que omitir la realidad de las cosas (como son ahora) sería tan irresponsable como publicar noticias falsas. Sé que al no compartir esta parte con ustedes estaría haciendo un deservicio a toda la razón por la que decidí aventarme a este mundo de blogging. Me prometí a mí misma que usaría este blog como una plataforma para ser transparente y honesta, así que les pido que me tengan paciencia mientras aprendo a despegar mi vendaje de privacidad. Estaba anticipando un comienzo diferente a todo esto, y que el inicio fuera algo más casual, ligero y con más optimismo así que ahora me veo forzada a ser obediente a mis circunstancias.

El miércoles 7/18, fui admitida al hospital de emergencia con un dolor de espalda insoportable. Casi similar al dolor que da durante el parto, con punzadas que no me permitían descansar. Las dos noches anteriores trate de encontrar algún alivio de cualquier manera, cambiándome de posición, de cuarto, ajustando los muebles para estrecharme, almohadas, temperatura de la habitación e incluso trate de arrullarme yo misma para poder dormir. Probablemente debería haber documentado con fotos las diferentes posiciones que intenté tratar de encontrar alivio. Cuando finalmente encontré algún alivio, fue de corta duración sólo durando un decepcionante 10 minutos. Estaba desvelada y desesperada así que a la 1:00am de la madrugada nos fuimos al hospital. Recuerdo que le pregunté a las primeras enfermeras que me atendieron: "Si grito fuerte y causo una escena ¿ayudaría eso a conseguir que los sedantes sean dados más rápido?"

Una Paciente, Paciente

Después de siete años de lidiar con exámenes, pruebas de MRI, tratamientos y tantas consultas con doctores, ya no me preparo para recibir malas noticias, simplemente he aprendido a esperarlas para así no estar desprevenida. Mis síntomas son buenos indicadores a dónde se dirige todo esto. Cuando empiezas a tener más días difíciles que buenos, es obvio. 


Mi respiración ha sido difícil recientemente, especialmente con este clima caloroso y húmedo y como con otras cosas que van cambiando, he aprendido a reevaluar y adaptarme. Los doctores han concluido que el tumor ha continuado creciendo, poniéndole más presión a mi pulmón izquierdo afectando mi espalda y causando el dolor. El pulmón izquierdo está ya completamente cerrado e inservible y ha comenzado a acumular un poco de fluido. Todo esto también está afectando mi esófago que ha hecho difícil también comer cómodamente, ciertas comidas no me pasan muy fácil. Mi pulmón derecho ha estado llevando la mayor carga durante los últimos dos años, pero también está afectado mostrando lesiones de tumor, aunque parece por ahora están estables sin crecimiento. 

El malestar es más evidente en la noche cuando me acuesto a dormir, poniendo más presión en mi espalda. Me siento cómoda en este momento con la ayuda de medicamentos para limitar el dolor y antiinflamatorios para ayudar a mantener mis vías respiratorias abiertas, pero se requerirá un monitoreo más cercano de aquí en adelante que para nosotros significa seguir evaluando y adaptándonos cuando estemos de regreso en casa.  

Cuidados Paliativos: Algo que pretende hacer que una mala situación parezca mejor pero que en realidad no mejora la situación.

Pues aquí es donde nos encontramos, en la esquina de " ¿y ahora qué "? y, "¿cuánto tiempo me queda"? La pregunta sobre el tiempo que me pueda quedar prefiero no preguntar o saber, aunque no necesariamente significa que no pienso en ello seguido. Realmente no me interesa entrar en pláticas con mi equipo médico sobre algo que solo le pertenece a Dios saber y no creo que vivir con un plazo sobre mi cabeza va a ayudar a mantener mi espíritu de lucha en alto. Supongo que el hecho de que pasé una hora con el equipo paliativo significa que es hora de poner mis asuntos en orden y en eso me voy a basar. No he perdido mi voluntad de vivir, mi paz y planeo seguir luchando así que voy a aferrarme a eso como lo he estado haciendo.  

Probablemente estaré aquí en el hospital unos días para observación y varios estudios y también mientras esperamos el nuevo plan de cómo vivimos nuestra vida con este nuevo desarrollo en casa. Me aseguraré de mantenerlos al tanto y por favor sepan que aprecio todas sus oraciones, mensajes, amor y el apoyo que nos han demostrado. Para ser sincera, ha sido difícil para mí orarle a Dios estos últimos días, o leer mi biblia. Creo que (por ahora) no encuentro que decirle a Dios acerca de toda esta situación, me he quedado sin palabras o maneras de pedir guía y fuerzas o tal vez es porque me siento muy desgastada por todo lo sucedido. Aun así, continúo sintiendo la paz perfecta que yo sé sólo puede venir de Dios, siento su amor y cuidado y por esto estoy agradecida. Que incluso cuando no sé qué decirle, o cómo decírselo, él nunca falla en estar aquí para abrazarme y sostenerme como el buen padre que es.

“No temas, pues yo estoy contigo, no te desanimes. Yo soy tu Dios, yo te fortaleceré, yo te ayudare, yo te sostendré con mi triunfante mano diestra.” – Isaías 41:10

Con mucho cariño,


Cronología de eventos

·      El miércoles 18 de julio soy admitida a la sala de emergencias en el hospital St. Jude en Fullerton, luego soy trasladada al hospital USC Keck en Los Angeles para determinar la mejor atención para el tratamiento del dolor y para mejorar mi respiración.

·      Martes, 24 de julio – en vez de dejarme ir de alta para ir a casa con solo medicamento, los doctores deciden mantenerme para realizar una broncoscopia para evaluar la situación. Ordenaron una broncoscopia para el día siguiente con una posible intervención para intentar y abrir más mis vías aéreas si es que el riesgo se puede mantener al mínimo. 

·      Miércoles 25 de julio – se logra una broncoscopia. Los doctores lograron intervenir y abrir las vías respiratorias más de lo previsto. Experimenté malestar normal.

·      Jueves 26 de julio – Fui dada de alta del hospital USC Keck para continuar la recuperación en casa con ayuda del equipo de cuidados paliativos para el dolor y otros síntomas.

·      Viernes 27 de julio – En casa vuelvo a sentir más dolor y malestar de lo que se esperaba y también noto síntomas de fluido en las vías respiratorias lo cual es una gran preocupación ya que está causando más estrés en mí ya débil y delicada respiración. Estuve despierta toda la noche de nuevo sin poder dormir.

·      Sábado 28 de julio – De registró a emergencia una vez más a St. Jude a las 4 de la mañana porque USC Keck no tiene centro de emergencia.  Los exámenes de CT, y prueba de sangre revelan neumonía en el pulmón derecho (el único pulmón que me queda). Fui admitida y pasé unos días con antibióticos para tratar de aclarar la infección. 

·      Martes 31 de Julio-Hospitalizada un total de 13 días entre los dos hospitales. 

·     Miércoles 1 de agosto – ya estoy de regreso en casa para seguir tratando de recuperarme.